PLEASE DONATE! Fantasy Author’s Handbook is brought to you free of charge, but if you can spare a one-time donation of $5, $20, or maybe $5 per month, that would really help keep Fantasy Author’s Handbook happily handbooking into the 2020s.
Join 4,918 other subscribers
Fantasy Author\’s Feeds
Fantasy Author’s Datebook
Are you following me?
- Object Permanence by Sarah Jean Grimm lithub.com/object-permane… 40 minutes ago
- The view yesterday from seat 34F. I was the last passenger off the aircraft and should have gotten some kind of pri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 43 minutes ago
- Back to work today! Morning admin tasks done, so now I #amediting for the next maybe 6 hours or so. See ya! 3 hours ago
- Updated Rate Card: Athans & Associates Creative Consulting
- BUY ME A COFFEE! Ready to throw a couple shekles into the cause?
- I'm on HIVE as @PhilAthans (just like Twitter)!
Books on Writing
- The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction The book at the heart of all this!
- Writing Monsters Advice for SF, fantasy, and horror authors
- The Best of Fantasy Author's Handbook Volume I, 2009-2013
Buy My Books
- Six Guns & Spaceships Featuring my space opera western story “Rendezes”
- Devils of the Endless Deep My trip into the Fathomless Abyss
- Write to the Cover Featuring my story “Bella Lucky and the Titan of Tarvos”
- Australians, Buy Here! Order from Boomerang Books in Australia.
- The Best of Fantasy Authors Handbook …is now available–58 revised and expanded essays from the first five years of FAH!
- Tales from the Fathomless Abyss The anthology that started it all!
- The Haunting of Dragon's Cliff with Mel Odom, a new sword & sorcery barbarian is born!
- Completely Broken A novel of contemporary horror
- Annihilation My entry in the Forgotten Realms series R.A. Salvatore’s War of the Spider Queen
- A Reader's Guide to R.A. Salvatore's the Legend of Drizzt An essential companion to the greatest hero of the Forgotten Realms world
- I Made a Friend An alternate history/dieselpunk story for your Kindle!
- Morbid Dread of the Dawn Read my story in The Pulp Horror Book of Phobias!
- The Dogs Are In the Alley Again: A new horror story in Jitter #7
- Harbinger Asylum: Published one of my poems!
- The Lighthouse Keeper That Left A new poem in Harbinger’s Asylum!
- MegaTraveller: MANHUNT: Thirty-two years late, but better than never!
Communicate With Me
- Twitter @PhilAthans Admit it, you need to keep up with me at least a couple times a day.
- LinkedIn Here’s my public profile on LinkedIn, for what it’s worth
- Athans & Associates Creative Consulting Creative consulting services from an IP development pro.
- GoodReads Join me at Facebook-for-readers
- Find me on Kindlepreneur: Master Guide to Selecting the Best Book Editor
Interviews & Guest Posts
- CLARKESWORLD INTERVIEW 1: I took part in a roundtable interview with other speculative fiction editors.
- MAKE-BELIEVE MONDAYS INTERVIEW: Debra Parmley’s Make-Believe Mondays is a must-read blog for SF/Fantasy fans, and she’s interviewed lil’ ol’ me!
- Celebrity Game Table: A detailed look at my Tegel Manor Campaign from 2003.
- Monsters in D&D, Books, Movies… Dicegeeks Podcast interview with Phil!
- Longwinded One Podcast: Episode 158: Philip Athans: The Years of Phil
- Classic Monsters, Modern Love: How a New Generation of Fans is Keeping the Universal Monsters Alive
- Publisher's Weekly “Is the Universe Expanding or Contracting?”
- Hunting for MANHUNT: The behind the scenes tale of my lost MegaTraveller adventure!
- Inside Storytelling: Writing Monsters, Creatures & Villains
- Porter Anderson vs. Movie Examples: With some nice things to say about my Living Dialogue seminar at the Writer’s Digest conference.
- 10 Questions with…ME! I get grilled by Ryan Schneider.
- SF Signal Mind Meld: Aliens I join other SF/F authors and editors on the subject of what makes a good alien.
- Ask the (Book) Editors: Panel video from 2013 Emerald City Comicon!
- Writer's Digest Guest Blog: How to Make a Vampire Not Suck
- Horror Authors: How to Scare the Heck Out of Your Readers A guest post at The Write Life with practical tips for scaring the crap out of your readers.
- Writer's Digest Interview: On Writing F&SF.
- How To Write Monsters With Philip Athans The Creative Penn Podcasts me!
- Roleplaying Tips: Interviews me!
- The Fanitarium Podcast: Interviews Philip Athans
- How to Create a Magic System: M.S. Farzan and Storyteller’s Handbook features The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction
- How to Write Horror: Reading, Breathing and the Long Sentence (at Writer’s Digest)
- Worldcasting: I join the guys from Worldbuilding Magazine for a chat about… everything!
Tag Archives: Marc Miller
MORE TRAVELLER . . . FINALLY!
Posted on March 18, 2014 by Philip Athans
It’s been way too long getting the new fiction line for Marc Miller’s latest version of the venerable role-playing game Traveller up and running, and I have to admit that most of that is my fault, but at last . . . The … Continue reading →
Posted in Books, creative team, E-Books, indie publishing, POD, Publishing Business, RPG, Science Fiction & Fantasy Novels, SF and Fantasy Authors, transmedia, Traveller, Writing, writing advice, Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy | Tagged author, authors, Books, creative process, e-books, editor, Fiction, genre fiction, Marc Miller, Martin J. Dougherty, MegaTraveller RPG, Philip Athans, Publishing, Robert E. Vardeman, Science Fiction, Traveller RPG, Traveller Universe, worldbuilding, Writing, writing exercises | Leave a comment
TRAVELLING WITH TRAVELLER
Posted on August 6, 2013 by Philip Athans
Some time during my eighth grade year, I asked my mother for a check for a few dollars so I could order a couple of games from an ad in Analog magazine. The fact that I was currently subscribing to … Continue reading →
Posted in Books, creative team, Dungeons & Dragons, E-Books, indie publishing, POD, Publishing Business, RPG, Science Fiction Story, SF and Fantasy Authors, transmedia, Traveller, Writing, Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy | Tagged author, authors, Books, creative process, Dungeons & Dragons, e-books, editor, Fiction, Forgotten Realms, genre fiction, hobby games, Marc Miller, Microgames, Philip Athans, Publishing, Publishing Business, role-playing games, RPG, Science Fiction, Traveller RPG, Wizards of the Coast, worldbuilding, Writing, writing advice, writing process | 2 Comments
TOOLS OF THE TRADE: TRAVELLER5
Posted on April 30, 2013 by Philip Athans
Some time ago, I recommended the long out of print MegaTraveller role-playing game supplement World Builder’s Handbook as a helpful tool for creating believable planets and star systems. Since then, I have begun work on a new series of tie-in … Continue reading →
Posted in Books, creative team, Publishing Business, RPG, Science Fiction & Fantasy Novels, Science Fiction Story, SF and Fantasy Authors, transmedia, Traveller, Writing, Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy | Tagged author, authors, Books, creative process, Dungeons & Dragons, editor, Erik Scott de Bie, Fantasy, Fiction, genre fiction, Marc Miller, MegaTraveller, Mel Odom, Philip Athans, Publishing, Publishing Business, Robert E. Vardeman, Science Fiction, sophont, Traveller, Traveller novels, Traveller RPG, worldbuilding, Writing, writing advice, writing exercises, writing process | 4 Comments